Triathlon as a Hobby
Let's get away from extreme sports to talk about one of the toughest and most demanding sports activities for the human body. Yes, we talk about triathlon, the individual sport based on resistance and that it brings together three disciplines: swimming, cycling and running.
If you have not yet been motivated to try this sport, we want to explain to you better what is going on through the modalities that exist. It is one of the most beautiful and enriching sports activities, both mentally and physically.
What is Triathlon?
Triathlon is a very complete and demanding sport that combines swimming, running and cycling. In the championships there is a first section of swimming, in lake or sea, then bicycle on the road and final race, also on the road or track.
Types of Triathlon According To the Distance Traveled
• Classic or Olympic: 1,500 meters swimming, 40 kilometers of cycling and 10 kilometers running.
• Ironkid: is the category designed for the little ones. Distances can vary between 200-500 meters swimming, 5-15 kilometers of cycling and 1-5 kilometers running.
• Super Sprint: As you may have imagined, with Super Sprint priority is given to speed versus endurance. The distances covered in this modality are 400 meters by swimming, 10 kilometers by bicycle and 2.5 kilometers by running.
• Sprint: also known as a half triathlon, it presents 750 meters of swimming, 20 kilometers of cycling and 5 kilometers of running.
• Distance B: its distances are marked by 2 kilometers swimming, 90 cycling and 20K running.
• Long distance: it consists of traveling 4 kilometers by swimming, 120 by bicycle and 30K by foot. The hardest with Iron Man.
• Iron Man: the hardest of all, hence its name and consists of walking 3.8 km swimming, 180 km by bicycle and 42.195 km by foot.
• Paratriathlon: we imagine that you already guessed it by the name. It is the modality for athletes with some type of physical disability. The Games of Rio de Janeiro 2016 will incorporate it for the first time as an Olympic discipline and the distances are 750 meters by swimming, 20 kilometers by bicycle and 5 kilometers of the race.
Logically it is an intense sport for which one must prepare well, consult the doctor beforehand and be equipped for the three types of activities. There are varieties such as duathlon, winter triathlon or mountain triathlon. You can federate and you can practice in triathlon clubs.
It is a magnificent sport if it is done with the right physical conditions.
However, this sport is not made to be practiced in a professional or Olympic way. Thousands of people begin to train on their own, even with measures set by themselves, in order to do it more as a hobby than as a sport. This hobby is ideal to stay healthy and fit.